Hi All,

As you may remember, one of my machines runs plain Ubuntu, has a spare USB Audio device plugged in, and I have been testing Ubuntu Studio on top of Gnome (ubuntustudio-installer did this for me several releases ago).

Last night I upgraded to 23.04 and as expected, saw that Studio Controls was removed. Running ubuntustudio-installer to install ubuntustudio-pulseaudio-config failed. To try and understand what might have gone wrong, I tried to install us-pulse*-config on the command line. It (apt) was going to remove ubuntu-desktop which I thought was a bad idea and said "no":

~$ sudo apt install ubuntustudio-pulseaudio-config
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
  libwireplumber-0.4-0 qpwgraph
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libasound2-plugins libpulsedsp pavucontrol pipewire-media-session pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-jack pulseaudio-utils
  python3-alsaaudio python3-cffi python3-jack-client python3-pycparser
  studio-controls zita-njbridge
Suggested packages:
  pavumeter paprefs
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pipewire-alsa pipewire-audio pipewire-jack pipewire-pulse ubuntu-desktop
  ubuntu-desktop-minimal ubuntustudio-pipewire-config wireplumber
libasound2-plugins libpulsedsp pavucontrol pipewire-media-session pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-jack pulseaudio-utils
  python3-alsaaudio python3-cffi python3-jack-client python3-pycparser
  studio-controls ubuntustudio-pulseaudio-config zita-njbridge
0 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 142 kB/1,906 kB of archives.
After this operation, 8,530 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I have not looked into the dependencies to see if there is a way to untangle this. Instead, I was wondering if it was worth playing with the pipewire setup. It is a test setup after all! Does anyone know of any good guidance on the workflows in this set up? What would I use to help all of the routing between pipewire, jack, and how to use Ardour/Hydrogen/Carla etc.?

From the packages listed for removal above, I assume that wireplumber in the answer?

I did see some discussion on LAD, but I was hoping for some blog with easy instructions, screenshots etc. :-)

Cheers,

Ross