On 7/12/23 19:49, Ross Gammon wrote:
On 7/12/23 19:46, Ross Gammon wrote:
qpwgraph is a QT GUI interface to wireplumber which is in Lunar.

Correction - qpwgraph depends on pipewire itself and not wireplumber. That was a wrong assumption on my part.

Ross

Well I had a play with qpwgraph and pipwire, and the some of the Ubuntu Studio audio tools with 23.04 (Lunar) on Gnome - and you can do stuff!

But I see what everyone means about pro-studios. It is all a bit clunky. and latency is a problem without an easy way to get in and fiddle with the settings. At least - one that I know of.

Apparently you can use some pipewire command line tools. But the manpage is light on information. I suppose your Ubuntu Studio Audio Config tool will help here - now I understand better what you were saying about the PIPEWIRE_QUANTUM variable.

With qpwgraph, I could make all of the connections that I used to make with The patch section of Carla. But everytime I clicked on another window, and then clicked back to qpwgraph, its window was un-maximised.

Hydrogen works.

I recorded an extra track into a previous Ardour project. Latency!

I recorded my electric guitar into an extra track via Guitarix. Same problem - naturally.

I played FluidSynth via the Virtual Keyboard without going into Ardour - there wasn't much point recording my virtual keyboard playing skills :-) No problems.

I didn't bother with any other effect/EQ plugins.

So. I didn't confirm what sample rate settings were being used. But if you can deal with the latency issue, you can do some rough/basic audio work on pipewire. For a true amateur like me - it would be OK after the latency is fixed.

Cheers,

Ross