Yeah I am afraid the visual side of my brain works better but so far so good
with the tutorial. There are terms that I am still learning.
OK I picked default as I do not know which to pick from the drop down box. The
numbers are yellow and not red. It get's to about 70 something percentage and
drops, rises, drops etc.
Yes I realise I will have to put a proper soundcard in. I will hopefully get
one this week but it depends on finances. I have a really good network of
people around me that can get me a good one. It won't be the best one ofcourse
but maybe it will. Anyway when I am recording I am using a microphone. I don't
record musical instruments at all. I also don't use a lot of tracks when making
music after all I am from the old skool of Hip Hop where music is not the
focus. It s about the lyrics.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:57:35 +1000 (EST)
Carla
 wrote:

> Hi I installed from the dvd and as I am reading the howto, it has the
> kernel that is mentioned. What is an audio interface? OK I have jack
> control opened and only got as far as the interface. In the drop down
> box there is default, hw:0, plughw:0 and /dev/dsp . I have never done
> the IRC thing. Is it like using an IM? Sorry I have no idea. Carla

Hi Carla,
so far, so good.
There are no pictures in the tutorial yet, so it's not that easy to
follow.
An audio-interface is the same as a soundcard, it's just a different
name. Your 'soundcard', for example, isn't a card, so some people like
to use audio-interface instead.
So you need to choose the interface the jack server should use.
Try to click on the little > besides the interface option, try to
identify your onboard soundcard and select it. If you can't identify
it, try (default).

Then try what the tutorial suggests: tick the realtime checkbox, set
the Frames/Period to 1024 and the Periods/Buffer to 3.

Click the OK-button to close the setup dialogue, press the Start button
and see if the jack-server starts.

If it does, good. If not, there's something wrong.
When it is running, look at the display. If there's a red number that's
increasing, you need to tune your settings, else you'll experience
dropouts.
Be aware that it's rather hard to get good performance out of jack with
onboard audio interfaces.

Regards,
 Philipp