On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Cory K. wrote:

> we're looking at these options:
>
>    * Shipping the -generic kernel with this 8.10 release of Ubuntu
>      Studio and let people compile their own -rt kernel. With a latter
>      PPA release of -rt for testing as upstream support happens.
>    * Ship a out-of-sync 2.6.26-rt kernel, hoping for a Stable Update
>      Release in Intrepid with .27 later.

For me, the great thing about UbuntuStudio is that things work out of the
box: I don't *have* to compile a kernel to get proper realtime support.

Over the years, I've closely followed the progress in Linux Audio land
and have compiled lots of kernels, but am very glad that I rarely
have to anymore (if ever). If the realtime kernel lags a version behind,
so be it- If I really need the latest bleeding edge functionality *now*,
I can always decide to compile my own anyway, but I'm more likely to
simply wait until it appears and be OK with it. So from my
point of view, an out-of-sync RT kernel would be fine. But as different
people have different needs, let's hear what others have to say.

Best,
Marc