Thanks all for your replies. I think I'll just back up my addresses, a few files... & try a clean install of Ubuntu Studio 8.10. & now that many of the programs I am interested in are included in the basic system... I can work with these questions... first, & then go back to 8.04.1 if need be.

Just guessing here, but I have been trying to get my Echo MiaMidi card to input s/pidf sound into Ardour for oh so long, that I think by the time I get a work(around?) sound connect... the -rt kernel will most probably be working for 8.10 (????  :-) ). & now that I have a higher speed connect... getting my seemingly rather complex setup up, will (hopefully!) not be quite such a slow pain (brothers & sisters, let us not forget those yet on the lowly dial-up routine!).

I look forward to this next step, & do appreciate that there are some dedicated doers here to help out...

Henry

sandie wrote:

I admit I'm no expert, but I actualy tried it two days ago, and it workd
for me :-)

That beeing said, I think the official recomendation is to install 8.04
Hardy, specialy if you need a realtime kernel (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio ).

/Sandie