Here's a puzzle.
My jaunty ubuntu studio needed to be re-installed today, and I did so using a
2-week-old installation disk.
There were lots of updates.
When I finished, I needed to set the system up to use wine and my Creative X-fi
card, so I did the following:

apt-get purge pulseaudio (wine does not work with pulseaudio)

Then I compiled and installed a new alsa-driver that supports my Creative X-fi
soundcard.

I re-booted.

asoundconf list gave me:

Intel
Generic (this supports my X-fi card)

So I set-default-card Generic.
And that worked to set the default.

But neither wine nor Audacity sees my Generic (Creative X-fi) soundcard. All
they see is Intel.

Going through System / Admin / Sound Preference gives me the correct mixer
option but not the correct playback option.

What's up? What have I done differently this time? Why doesn't my X-fi work?

Thanks
Susan