Sorry guys for the last letter, I was being unproductive.. I have a tendency
to go into micromanager mode.. And I know this stuff is complex and tough,
and that you don't have control over the general way that Ubuntu works, but
this is something to think about and bring to round table discussions with
canonical or whoever might be able to make this happen.

> > could arrange to make blender blend files that would manage the
> compositing
> > and texturing/lighting/rendering of the elements, which is something you
> can
> > do with blender. You can run blender like a blackbox, providing input and
> > generating output, I once wrangled and animation unattended from a
> Makefile.
> >

> I'm missing you here. :) What does this mean?

Check out UV texture mapping in blender. Here is a link..

The way to project textures onto soldiers in games, is the same way you
could skin an interface. If you can do this, you can have the textures for
the interface generated by performing renders in blender on objects. Objects
can have bump maps, specular maps, reflection maps, transparency maps, a lot
more choices for presentation than what GIMP can provide.

These attributes can be changed, combined and rendered to an image file. You
can then skin the look with these elements by extracting the cookie cutter
shapes from the images.

Kind of like how UV texturing occurs on 3D surfaces. If you've ever made a
mod for quake or some game and wanted to change the look of a character,
you've dealt with a UV map.

Black box program = program that only has one input and one output .

Black box blender render = rendering of images from parameters and a input
blend file, without using the blender GUI, all from the command line.

Makefile blender wrangling:
Write a makefile that automates the chore of rendering an animation by
taking advantage of the fact that "Make" only compares the file modification
times to determine if things have changed and to regenerate dependencies
when things have, which is all make does.. Make is language-less and
application-less. I used it to automate the process of rendering and
compositing an animation. However I did this years before blender had any
wrangling software.

An example of a makefile that uses blender:

animation: animation.mpg scene1 scene2 scene3
   blender -b composite_animation.blend

scene1: scene1.blend
   blender -b scene1.blend

scene2: scene2.blend
   blender -b scene2.blend

scene3: scene3.blend
   blender -b scene3.blend

--

Something like this.. I'll have to go look at that makefile to see how I did
it.  I was required in college to write a working "make" in C++. So knowing

> > I think any single theme, is a bad idea.. IF it's going to be about
> > creativity, it should permit a wide range of themes, and these should be
> > community created.. That means the elements should be accessible and
> > selective by the community, as what good is a creative operating system
> if
> > the elements of the interface are not being created by it's creative
> users.
>
> I'm sorry but I gotta say that's a bit naive. (but completely
> understandable)

What's naive about simplicity?

Some people make things complex for politics sake.. I thought Linux would
grow, if it could leave behind the politics of commercial software
development behind.. But I guess I was wrong.