On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:17 AM, sandie <san...@sandgreen.dk> wrote:

> Sergio Bello wrote:
> > I don't know about lmms VsTIge, but probably it's a reimplementation
> > from scratch of the Steimberg api, something like Linux reimplementation
> > of posix api...
> >

> So this is legal ?
> If it is... then why don't "we" make a native linux VST for things like
> Ardour, and by "we" I mean someone else than me, preferable one who
> actualy know what he/she is doing ;-)
>
> Sandie

Well, yes vestiege is legal - but I'm no lawyer and I'm sure it depends on
what country you're in and how much you pay the lawyer who argues your case.

As for why "we" don't make a native linux VST for things like Ardour?  There
exists the Vestiege headers for VST support in Ardour, and Ardour also has
LV2 support (sort of LADSPA catching up to VST's features) so, in my
opinion, it's a question of why duplicate that which already exists.  Ardour
will be compiled with LV2 support for the upcoming Lucid Lynx release, but
no plans have been made to get it compiled with Vestiege headers, yet.

DSSI-VST, FST, JOST, and other similar technologies all relied on the
compiler going to the Steinberg website, signing up for a VST developer
account that includes an agreement not to redistribute the headers,
downloading the headers, then compiling.  This does not work for
distributions - VST (similar to other closed-sourced software) is faulty
technology.

I am really excited for the inclusion of the LV2 libraries in Lucid Lynx.
Let the LV2 plugin excitement/growth/development BEGIN!!!!

-Eric Hedekar