On 01/11/2011 10:01 PM, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:54:51AM -0600, Brian David wrote:
>>> On a total tangent - can any of you comment (in lay terms if possible) on
>>> the real-time kernel?
>
> Personally I am running Maverick but am using Bogani's Lucid kernel most of
> the time but I have several kernels instlled so I can switch between them.
>>
>> For Lucid:
>>
>> There is a real-time kernel in the official Ubuntu repositiories, the
>> package is called linux-rt.
>
> This is one of the kernels I have installed.
>

>> There are no official real-time kernels available for Maverick.  Some
>> people seem to have successfully used Bogani's Natty kernels
>
> I think maybe I will try this.
>

>> There are other issues with real-time in Maverick and Natty that have
>> recently come to light.  This page will fill you in:
>>
>> http://jackaudio.org/linux_group_sched
>
> What is the stuff about "cgroups" about?
>
> Bernard

cgroups only affects the Natty's generic kernel, to my knowlegde.
It makes realtime impossible for a standard installation of jack and
jack applications, even when belonging to audio group.
This does not happen on Alessio Boganis -lowlatency kernel for Natty.

As for Maverick, there seems to be no lowlatency or rt kernel for it, so
perhaps it would be recommendable to try sticking with Lucid, until
Natty can become a replacement.

--
ailo