On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-01-14 at 03:05 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 09:26 +0000, Yorvyk wrote:

> an
> the lack
> is: How
> use
> would
> etc?
> > > >
> > > Everything in the Ubuntu 64 bit repo is 64 bit, so will utilise your 64
> bit hardware.  The only area where 64 bit apps are occasionally missing are
> proprietary drivers for some hardware eg some wireless card/dongles.  These
> are easily avoided though.  Whether things will run faster/better is another
> matter.

> can go to

> > > --
> > > Steve Cook (Yorvyk)
> > >
> > > http://lubuntu.net
> >

> > Yes, 64 bit on Linux is 64 bit and at least on my machine it has got
> > advantages. JACK1 isn't ok on my 64 bit machine, hence I use JACK2. On
> > 64 bit Ubuntu Linux you can run some 32 bit software in a 32 bit chroot
> > or some other software by using a command to add 32 bit libs. On 64 bit
> > Suse Linux the design is a little bit different, here it's able even to
> > use some proprietary 32 bit drivers, e.g. the LightScribe drivers.
> > I've got issues with VSTs on my 64 bit Linux, but on 64 bit wineasio I
> > was able to run VSTs, while IMO wineasio is unusable regarding to
> > jitter. I'm not missing VSTs, but it's because I don't need a lot of
> > virtual stuff.
> > If you need some loudness war FX, real vocoders, Auto-Tune, perfect ARP
> > synth emulations, a synth choir that will sing your lyrics, a classical
> > orchestra, a superguitar FX rack and some other stuff and you shouldn't
> > care about ethics, Linux isn't the right choice. At least the loudness
> > war can be done with Linux too, by using JAMin, but JAMin needs a lot of
> > resources, so this can become an issue.
> > The only thing I'm missing on Linux is a soundfont and gig player with
> > integrated editor and proper timing for external MIDI equipment and
> > sometimes an orchestra emulation. I also won't do live recordings with
> > Linux for money.
> > At home I'm using Linux only, but even at home I do have a lot of
> > external audio equipment.
> > YMMV Ralf
>
> PS:
>
> Is professional audio/ video sync to external devices important for you?
> Or poly-rhythm by a MIDI sequencer? This can't be done with Linux.
> OTOH, on other OSs expensive hardware and expensive software is needed
> to realise things that aren't able with Linux. Most of this stuff isn't
> FLOSS or if you don't care for ethics, it's also not available as crack.

the only software that i miss in my 64bit install is lightscribe. plenty of
workarounds for that (chroot, VM, dual-booting, bothering the vendor til a
native app comes while using lightscribe on another machine running
32bit)... would i install 64bit on that machine next time? i think so.

--
MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/