On 04/03/2011 08:44 AM, Victor henri wrote:
> It seems that the -generic kernel in Ubuntu 10.10 (and 11.04) is not very
> appropriate for that, since the RT_GROUP_SCHED option in the kernel is
> enabled; it means that it overrides everything that may have been configured
> in the limits.conf. See jackd FAQ :  http://jackaudio.org/linux_group_sched
> This seems specific to Ubuntu (according to Jackd FAQ); so it's probably
> worth to have a try, but you shouldn't be surprised if you have a lot of
> Xruns. Then you should considerr other options (see below)

The cgroups thing is no longer an issue. The information on Jacks page
is no longer up to date. We should ask them to remove that part from
their FAQ.

10.10 was never affected. On 11.04 kernel version 2.6.37 was not usable
without having to recompile it, but the kernel in Natty is now 2.6.38,
which includes a patch that removes this problem.

The performance on 2.6.38 has been going up and down during the
development of Natty. At the moment, it is not bad, though not perfectly
reliable.
Alessio Boganis PPA includes a -lowlatency kernel for Natty, which
performs virtually as well as a -realtime kernel would, for *most* people.

--
ailo