On my maverick partition I did not see essential benefits against lucid, so I did an early distupgrade to natty. The actual kernel 2.6.38-7-generic gives me good audioperformance for live softsynths, live effects, wineasio/reaper, ardour multitrack recording on firewire, pci alsa and usb-midi, in no way inferior to realtime 2.6.31 and .33 kernels, good buffersize/xrun ratio. For tedious audio work on standard hardware I see no more need for -rt kernels. I guess there might be a little profit for audio performance by compiling actual kernel cgroups disabled, no tics disabled, preemptible kernel enabled and timer frequency set to 1000hz. In future optional manipulating devices' IRQ assignment and priorities like this was done by rtirq should be a feature for standard kernels.
best regards
Gerhard