Hello Bob

> Victor,
> I'm very interested in checking this out, but I'm not
> finding ppa's for
>
> libgtk+...

You are probably looking for libgtk2.0-dev package, which is in the official
packages of Debian ( http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libgtk2.0-dev ); if you
install this, you should have all it's dependencies installed with it.

You do not need anyaditional  PPA for Spectrum3d : everything should be in the
repositories (with an exception for Geis : it is in the repo for Natty; for
Debian, I think it is not available yet unless you build it yourself from
sources in the *testing* version only)

Please let me know if you have any trouble and thank you for your interrest

Victor