On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 00:23 +0200, Robert Klaar wrote:
> Many artists/producers DO use mac's and wouldn't this open up for a
> larger group of potential users?

iTux? I guess you'll get Windows and MacOs themes for many Linux DEs.
Hm? Many people don't know that it's also possible to customize even old
Windows versions. It's possible to replace double-clicks by
single-clicks, to switch colours, borders etc., but usually Windows
users don't change even a colour.
Seen from this vantage point it would confuse such users, if a DE does
look equal to the DE for another OS, but it might act just a little bit
different.

For me it's no big deal to switch between Atari TOS (less a DE, than
just a WM), Windows, OSx and various Linux DEs. I do customize my
environments if wanted.  Anyway, IMO most important for Ubuntu Studio is
to provide a desktop that does fit to the needs of many artists and
producers, customer acquisition is unimportant.

All WMs, DEs nearly do the same, but the marginal differences are
important for the work flow. Most of the times I do use a terminal
emulation for file-browsing, just sometimes I prefer a file manager. The
best ever was Konqueror for KDE3. If you e.g. fluffy compare Konqueror,
Dolphin and Nautilus they seem to be very similar, but the aren't.
Differences to other file managers such as PacManFM, Thunar etc.
obviously differ a lot.

It's no big deal to install several WMs/DEs, but it's only possible to
customize one of those DEs completely, because of freedesktop issues,
that e.g. could cause that there will be two wastebasket or other
unwanted objects on your desktop, after closing a file manager, it might
switch the panels of the chosen DE by those of another installed DE, the
file manager originally is intended for.

-1 for iTux

Ralf