On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 17:55 +0100, lrspares45 wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 18:39 +0200, Ralf wrote:
> > Hi :)
> >
> > sometimes I need to isolate the PC from the mains and then turn it on
> > again, before it can boot. After startup did work, there are no issues.
> >

> Does your monitor have a separate PSU? I ask as this computer started
> behaving erratically, to the extent that I set up a spare on to use.
> Just before switching over there was a 'pop' from the monitor PSU and it
> died. Using an alternative monitor stopped all the computer problems!
> It's a bit bizarre, but it's possible it might not be the computer at
> all at fault.

The CTR has got it's own PSU, the PPPoE ADSL modem has got it's own
power supply too and they were connected before I added new hardware,
but I additionally connected my old parallel port HP DeskJet 600 with
it's own power supply and it's turned of when booting.

I still suspect that for the boot process the 450W/230V<2A PSU is to
weak. I suspect when measuring the current consumption at the mains side
of the PSU, everything would be ok. I suspect that behind the voltage
stabilisers there might be an issue sometimes.

I wonder if there's a monitoring or if there's a way to turn of power at
boot automatically for e.g. USB and to turn it on near the end of the
startup. I read something about wakeup, but without explanation, since I
guess a wakeup is doing something different.

Because it only happens sometimes, i can't just disconnect one hardware
after the other to make tests.

But you're right, I'm not sure if the PSU is simply to weak, might be
something else.

Thanks,

Ralf