On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Brian David <beej...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, and happy New Year!
>
> I'm wondering if any of you can help me with a problem.  I'm having a
> difficult time getting my gamma settings to stick.  I'm using the ATI
> Catalyst Control Center to set the gamma level to .63.  However, the
> gamma reverts to 1.0 on each new session.  The frustrating part is
> that, if I check the gamma levels (by running 'xgamma' in the
> terminal, for instance, or just re-opening Catalyst), the output tells
> me that the gamma is .63.  The display is clearly not using this gamma
> setting, though, and to get it to use the levels I want, I need to
> re-adjust the settings (in either Catalyst or using xgamma), at which
> point it works.  I have a feeling this has something to do with my
> display color profiles, but I'm what I'd need to change to fix this.

For anyone who might be interested, I found a solution to my problem.
I added this line to ~/.profile:

(sleep 5; xgamma -gamma .7) &

Whatever it is that is resetting the gamma is getting executed after
~/.profile is run, so this is why the sleep command is used.  Works on
my machine, and now I don't have to reset gamma every time I log in.

--
-Brian David