Perhaps we're getting off-topic a bit, but is there actually a midi
sequencer in the open source world that one could call 'fantastic' and is
as reliable as Ardour has been so far?

So far I've always bumped on applications that are buggy as hell, still in
development, unmaintained, limited in features or not able to follow new
technologies etc...
I've tried out seq24, qtractor, rosegarden, muse, I even tried openoctave,
but all have failed in my tests or requirements. Rosegarden came out best,
but as I said, with lot's of issues (latency in playback and recording,
crashes, it even manages to crash my XV88, which is connected with a midi
cable, softsynths that don't work, crashing my audiofire12 on exit...)

I'd love to hear about such an app.

About Ardour 3, it might be limited and look weird for midi indeed, but
when stable, it will at least be stable and do what it has to do, record,
edit and playback midi. Never recommend beta-stage software to
unexperienced people though, certainly not newbies in linux audio, and
certainly not to do real work, beta is beta and you can almost count on it
you'll have crashes, data loss etc...

For writing scores I use lilypond, a very steep learning curve, but superb
output,
even better then it's propietary alternatives that have a gui and drag and
drop system. Otherwise Musescore
is a good alternative, though it has some limitations.

grtz,

Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/
On facebook <https://www.facebook.com/pages/BartArt3D/169488999795102>