Thanks, Set
Now I can do all with Thunar I did with Nautilus, maybe easier. (My world
is now a happier place.)
And no, Nautilus did not actually lose data. It would just break in the
middle of a long task, and then I would have to pay attention to which
files it failed to copy. There would usually be one where the name showed,
but no content. No corrupted files, as far as I can tell.
I haven't yet tried Thunar on a similar large task (like copying a 30 gig
folder of my manipulated photographs). It may still prove to be my wheezy
hardware and not Nautilus that caused the trouble.
But now that you have shown me where the controls are, Thunar works just
fine for me.