Don't know if this may make you feel better or just muddy the water
further, but I have had similar problems with more than one HP laptop
(including one mini) with only Windows installed. In fact the first time I
used Linux for work was during a desperate effort to revive the WiFi on an
HP lap. (Linux didn't help with that, but I soon realized I needed to use
Linux more and Windows less, so the effort was not wasted.)
In all cases my final solution was to get a little USB WiFi stick and use
that with the HPs.
grins
Pete