Hi :)

I installed Mate on Arch Linux and there are at least no performance
issues even by the default settings, so it's much better than Cinnamon.

The drawback are conflicts between packages. There are howtos for
Ubuntu, e.g to add a link  zenity -> matedialog  in /usr/bin. On Arch
Linux I kept zenity, IOW I build a dummy package for mate-dialogs and
add a link  matedialog -> zenity  in /usr/bin.

Another conflict is between the packages mate-file-archiver and
file-roller. I don't know how this is handled by Ubuntu, but on Arch
Linux mate-file-archiver will replace file-roller, but I build a dummy
package for mate-file-archiver and kept file-roller, but didn't add a
link, since I still have to check if they provide equal option.

This were the issues everybody will experience, the following is only
needed for users who won't gvfs and pulseaudio.

A pulseaudio dummy package is no problem, but a gvfs dummy package is
tricky. My gvfs dummy package does provide gvfs and gvfs-obexftp. First
I had to install gvfs and gvfs-obexftp, then I had to remove
gvfs-obexftp, by ignoring that this will break a dependency, before I
could make it consistent again by installing the gvfs dummy package.

Mate's file browser Caja and Cinnamon's file browser nemo do work
without gvfs, something I need to report to a German forum, where people
claimed that caja should need gvfs to show icons, as expected by me,
this is pure nonsense, they don't need gvfs.

I didn't set up both DEs, so this is only my first impression, but I
guess I won't install Cinnamon to my Ubuntu Studio, but maybe I'll
install Mate.

So on Arch I've got Xfce4, Cinnamon and Mate installed at the moment and
on Ubuntu Studio Xfce4 only. Even if Mate (or less likely Cinnamon)
should become my new DE, I'll keep Xfce4, to have an alternate DE,
assumed Mate (or Cinnamon) should have issues with updates.

In nearly forgot to run top. It seems to be ok, quasi no CPU needed.

Regards,
Ralf