On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Martin H. <mentoj_d...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello Ubuntu-studio-community!!!
>
> i got a new laptop. a thinkpad x230! nice one.
>
> now i'm trying to run my firepod with it. of course - it got no firewire.
> so i bought two Firewire Cards for the ExpressCard-slot. here they are:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/**product/B003L55XI0/ref=oh_**
> details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&**psc=1<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L55XI0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
>
> http://www.amazon.de/gp/**product/B001DZXDYG/ref=oh_**
> details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&**psc=1<http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001DZXDYG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>
>
> they both got a VIA Chipset (thats what my windows-installation told me)
> so i guess they are actually the same. (i bought two, because i thought
> that increases the chances of a working one)
> I read in the following thread that the best cards to work with linux are
> those with a TI-Chipset. but the same guy wrote, he's got a cheap one with
> a VIA VT6315 Chipset - the same as mine.
>
> http://linux-audio.4202.n7.**nabble.com/Express-card-54-**
> adaptor-for-a-Linux-laptop-**td24198.html<http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Express-card-54-adaptor-for-a-Linux-laptop-td24198.html>
>
> so i thought, i give it a try. but now i got some problems. first of all:
> how do i check, that the card is working?? the only firewire-device i got
> here is my firepod, so the only way i can check it's function is with a
> running jack... which is not very handy, because i dont know the right
> cofiguration for jack to run with THIS Laptop... jack is not starting jet.
> (it is with the onboary soundcard but not if i change the driver to
> firewire... not surprising)
>
> so, how can i check the working-status of the card?... can someone help me
> with that? would be phuut ;-)
>
> or can someone name me a firewire-card with is for sure running with this
> setup? maybe one with a texas-instruments-chipset?
>
> thanks again...

i use a live CD to test if my firepod works with new or foreign chipsets
that i haven't used. i bought a card from a store (locally) who said i
could return the card within a few days for any reason. this is a good way
to find out what chipset is in the card. you can always try to take the
machine with you and put the card in, or use a live CD with a machine at
the shop. dont want to shop at a box store? no "mom and pop" store around
you that you like?.. well, online can be tricky. there are places where you
can pay a little more for guaranteed texas instrument chips, such as
http://raincomputers.com/products/firewire-expresscard/ ...or you can try
something advertising TI chips from ebay or somewhere like that
(potentially used).. otherwise, even if, for example, i went and gave you
the brand and model of my card, you could buy another of the same brand and
model that could be a different rev with a different chipset. for the
record, i have had decent luck with a few VIA firewire chipsets in linux in
the past. other than that, save the receipts or buy from a place that
guarantees TI chips.. cheers!

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>