thanks for the answre (and sorry for my late one)

well, in the meantime i found several cards with ti-chipset in the net. i will try them out now. but is there no other way to try it with the VIA-chipset i just got? i can send them back, thats not the problem. so you think i'm better with a TI-chipset one?

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 um 05:59 Uhr
Von: "Mike Holstein" <mikeh...@gmail.com>
An: "Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion" <ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Betreff: Re: [ubuntu-studio-users] running a firepod-soundcard with expressCard-Firewire

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Martin H. <mentoj_d...@gmx.de> wrote:
Hello Ubuntu-studio-community!!!

i got a new laptop. a thinkpad x230! nice one.

now i'm trying to run my firepod with it. of course - it got no firewire. so i bought two Firewire Cards for the ExpressCard-slot. here they are:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L55XI0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001DZXDYG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they both got a VIA Chipset (thats what my windows-installation told me) so i guess they are actually the same. (i bought two, because i thought that increases the chances of a working one)
I read in the following thread that the best cards to work with linux are those with a TI-Chipset. but the same guy wrote, he's got a cheap one with a VIA VT6315 Chipset - the same as mine.

http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Express-card-54-adaptor-for-a-Linux-laptop-td24198.html

so i thought, i give it a try. but now i got some problems. first of all: how do i check, that the card is working?? the only firewire-device i got here is my firepod, so the only way i can check it's function is with a running jack... which is not very handy, because i dont know the right cofiguration for jack to run with THIS Laptop... jack is not starting jet. (it is with the onboary soundcard but not if i change the driver to firewire... not surprising)

so, how can i check the working-status of the card?... can someone help me with that? would be phuut ;-)

or can someone name me a firewire-card with is for sure running with this setup? maybe one with a texas-instruments-chipset?

thanks again...

i use a live CD to test if my firepod works with new or foreign chipsets that i haven't used. i bought a card from a store (locally) who said i could return the card within a few days for any reason. this is a good way to find out what chipset is in the card. you can always try to take the machine with you and put the card in, or use a live CD with a machine at the shop. dont want to shop at a box store? no "mom and pop" store around you that you like?.. well, online can be tricky. there are places where you can pay a little more for guaranteed texas instrument chips, such as http://raincomputers.com/products/firewire-expresscard/ ...or you can try something advertising TI chips from ebay or somewhere like that (potentially used).. otherwise, even if, for example, i went and gave you the brand and model of my card, you could buy another of the same brand and model that could be a different rev with a different chipset. for the record, i have had decent luck with a few VIA firewire chipsets in linux in the past. other than that, save the receipts or buy from a place that guarantees TI chips.. cheers!

MH