Done some more attempts, crash happens even when pressing cancel or
'escape' when in the setup options.

I can't even get the option to change audio system to pulse or jack, it
crashes before I enter the audio settings menu.

starting from terminal, it seems like java is crashing, but I don't know
much about Java in general, so... :

#
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f26a535010c, pid=9776, tid=139804568499968
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build
1.7.0_45-b18)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode
linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libgobject-2.0.so.0+0x3210c]  g_type_check_instance_cast+0x1c
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core
dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/bart/hs_err_pid9776.log
#
#   http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

I've tried OpenJDK and Oracle JDK.

grtz,

Bart