Hello list,

Irecently started educating myself to the wonders of Ardour. Then today I became aware of the 'What's new' section on Ardour's website (http://ardour.org/whatsnew.html). This section strongly encourages linux distros to upgrade to Ardour 3.5.403 and even states that it's irresponsible not to.

My system, Ubuntu Studio 14.04, is still running Ardour 3.5.308~dfsg-1. I'm familiar with Ubuntu's policy of choosing the latest (or stablest) version of a program at the time of release and then sticking with that until the next ubuntu release.

Now my questions are:

1. I guess I should become a subscriber to get the latest and greatest version. How does that work in practice - I subscribe and then get access to a 'secret' PPA?
2. Can someone explain to me the deeper meaning of version numbers?
I mean, does the difference in version numbers (3.5.403 vs 3.5.308) really mean that the Ardour team released almost a hundred updates not incorporated into Ubuntu Studio 14.04?

Best wishes,
Alf