On Fri, Sep 25, 2015, at 08:55 AM, Blaine Jones wrote:
> Nothing to speak of at the moment.  I am planning on getting a korg nano
> for midi note imput.  I guess I will be useing the internal audio system
> of
> the computer I get until I figure out what kind of interface I want to
> listen to.  portability is my main thing.  I need something I can create
> on
> throw in my bag jump on the transit ect.  I have a more extensive home
> st[udio based around and akai mpc renissance, and tons of MIDI syths,
> analog mixers, outboard gear ect.  with this project I'm just looking to
> do
> some very ambient experimental with a little bit of a pulse.  So yes I
> will
> need some kind of sound interface something portable.  very minimal very
> in
> the computer kind of sound.  their was one other computer I was looking
> at
> also becuase they can preload it with kubuntu mabey even ubuntu studio if
> call the company I have read a lot of good things about driver
> compatabilitys with this what do you think of the Lenova Think Pad Yoga
> 15.  I just kind of like the bigger screen.  Those were what I was
> looking
> at and any other suggestions are welcome. I'm planning ahead.  I know I
> have a lot to learn. Right now I'm takeing and extensive class at the
> Linux
> foundation to learn more of what I'm doing.  Truely appreciate the help.

Since you'll probably be playing soft synths, you'll require low
latency. Ubuntu Studio comes with the linux-lowlatency kernel, which
makes that somewhat easier. But, getting good, audio dropout free
performance at low latencies also depends on the hardware you use. I
wouldn't be able to recommend anything and guarantee it will work, but
I'm sure I and other can give you some hints on what to look out for.

For portability, you'll probably need an USB device. Firewire is fairly
portable, but not all computers have firewire ports. On PCs that's an
easy fix, but not on laptops.
You can find some supported USB devices here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/SupportedHardware#USB
Also, here http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardware_matrix.
And, there are probably more places to look.

As for the computer itself. Doesn't USB3 give us better low latency
operation? Not sure at all, and I have zero experience with USB devices
myself.

I myself use PCI and Firewire devices, and have had no problems getting
latency down to accepted levels on my machines. So, I don't have much
experience of the opposite. Built-in cards are not usually as well
performing, but sometimes they can work well enough.

That's about all the advice I can offer right now.