I can appreciate the fact that you are not comfortable with the command
line.

But try this:

Open the Terminal

Type (or, preferably, copy) the following:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo update-manager

This will update the computer. I use these commands to check for updates
every day

(The update-manager will let you know if the computer must be rebooted.)

If computer did not need to be rebooted, type the following:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

(If the computer needed to be rebooted, just do so and then open the
Terminal again and type the Synaptic Package Manager installation command.)

You can install anything you want from the Synaptic Package Manager which,
though older and not as 'pretty', actually works far better and faster than
does the Software Centre. If you wish to install programs not in Synaptic
you might want to install the gdebi program (sudo apt-get install gdebi)
which works much better at installing such programs than does the Software
Centre.

Another valuable use for the command line is the ability to install extra
PPAs which may contain other programs you may wish to use. Installation of
these PPAs via the command line is very easy.

Don't be afraid of the command line (the Terminal). I was until I
discovered how easy it is to actually use. Most of the time I still use
GUIs but there are times when the Terminal is better. Daily updating is one
of them and sometimes installing a program is too. (To install a program
via the command line you must know its EXACT name.) In almost every case
the Terminal runs whatever you wish to do faster than does a GUI. At least
that's been my experience.

I hope that this helps you.