Hi,

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:09:35 -0500, Lawrence H. Bulk wrote:
>If computer did not need to be rebooted, type the following:
>
>sudo apt-get install synaptic

You could install synaptic, before you reboot. There usually is no
reason to reboot at all. A reboot only makes sense sometimes, e.g. if
you want to use a new kernel, or if the old kernel and it's modules were
removed and you want to start something, that requires modules, that are
not already loaded. However, you could reboot, it doesn't harm.

The reason I reply is to inform you about "apt" and "gdebi from command
line".

>If you wish to install programs not in Synaptic you might want to
>install the gdebi program (sudo apt-get install gdebi) which works
>much better at installing such programs than does the Software Centre.

AFAIK Synaptic can't do what gdebi could do. IIRC Synaptic can only
install from repositories, while gdebi could install local packages and
resolve dependencies from repositories. Local packages are downloaded
packages or packages you build on your own. However, for 16.04.1 there
is no need to use gdebi, since apt can do it now, too.

In the past

  sudo dpkg -i <path/package> && sudo apt-get install -f

or

  sudo gdebi <path/package>

was needed to install a local package and resolve dependencies,
nowadays apt is able to do the same. IOW there's no need to install
anything, just run

  sudo apt install <path/package>

Current versions of apt are able to install local packages and resolve
dependencies. This might not work for old versions of apt, but the
version provided by 16.04.1 isn't old.

For new releases of Ubuntu, such as 16.04.1

  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

should be replaced by

  sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

since apt became the new official tool for Ubuntu flavours. Help pages
still mention apt-get, because at least one Ubuntu release that is
still supported, doesn't provide apt. Anyway, novices don't need to
learn apt-get commands, it's better thy directly learn apt commands.

Regards,
Ralf