On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 17:53:18 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 08:30:05 -0800, Charlie Luna wrote:
>>Ralf: the only answer i can give you is to do a clean install of a 64
>>bit version of ubuntu. there's really no way to go from 32 to 64 bit
>>with an upgrade or whateve. only a clean install will take care of
>>that. sorry.
>
>I'm not the OP, I only run 64 bit Linux installs. The "64 bit" was a
>typo and should read "32 bit". IOW 32 bit support will be dropped by
>Ubuntu, x86 as well as ppc. FWIW other distros don't drop x86, but
>getting ppc support might be an issue.

PS:

There at least are ways to get a list of all packages that are
installed by the 32 bit install and after installing the 64 bit version
it's possible to install all packages from this list. There was a
discussion this or last year on the Ubuntu users mailing list, so the
answers are in the archive. There isn't just a single answer related to
a list of all packages, because a user might follow a
no-install-recommends philosophy and/or wants to ensure that auto and
manual installed packages have the same status after reinstalling them,
so this could require different ways to generate the package list.