Hi Neil,

On Thursday, 31 October 2019 02:06, Neil McBennett <n...@mcbennett.net> wrote:

> So I upgraded as I was sick of the Pulseaudio vs Jackd battle. Still I seem
> to have the choice of one or the other (but not both) and then I have to stop
> or start jack and all the pain that this brings.

Ubuntu Studio Controls and QJackCtl should be able to do this. I can only speak
for 18.04, but I don't assume this has fundamentally changed in 19.10, so you
should be able to have Pulseaudio stream through Jack automatically without
issues.

I use Jack to have a system-wide EQ for all sound output, Pulseaudio and Jack
direct, this guide has helped me a lot in understanding how QJackCtl works and
what can be done, you could leave out the EQ part and use it to set up
Jack/Pulseaudio: https://github.com/M4he/Linux/tree/master/JACK/PA_through_JACK

On Thursday, 31 October 2019 02:06, Neil McBennett <n...@mcbennett.net> wrote:

> On top of this the menu system randomly removes whole categories without any
> user intervention.

The menu issue has been existing since 16.04, I believe, I don't know what
exactly causes it and it's rare, but you can just restore them by installing
"alacarte" and clicking "Restore System Configuration".

On Thursday, 31 October 2019 02:06, Neil McBennett <n...@mcbennett.net> wrote:

> I tried the Gnome desktop thing with Wayland but there the screensaver
> doesn't work and there are no menus meaning you have to memorize the names of
> any programs you may want to run and search for them.

This is a matter of taste, but I've run Gnome for a while and wasn't happy with
it at all, coming from Xfce. The Dashboard feels unintuitive and the frequent
programs tab didn't work for me. Also, I use Reaper as my DAW and it installs
multiple different launchers, so with the character limitation, I always got
"REAPER (x64)...", "REAPER (x64)...", "REAPER (x64)..." and I had to guess
which launcher I have to start.

Wayland is still a bit unstable at times and I can't tell what system
configuration/hardware works best at this time. Unfortunately, Gnome with X has
been very sluggish and a bit laggy in the recent versions, I don't know how it
is in 19.10.

I think Xfce is an excellent DE for conventional workstation use. If you want
to try something in-between, you could give KDE a shot. It's also much more
configurable than Gnome.