I bought an Asus FX505 Tuf Gaming laptop, with Intel Core i5 CPU and Nvidia GPU.

It came with Windows 10. I booted from USB to live Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and installed it after repartitioning.

I can boot into Ubuntu Studio, but after a few minutes, everything except the mouse freezes. I can move the mouse around, but not click on anything, not drag anything. Key presses do nothing. I could press CTRL ALT F1 for a terminal and do things there, but since I updated the kernel to 5.8.0-23-lowlatency, even that no longer works after booting.

I would really like to get Ubuntu Studio working on this laptop, as Windows 10 sucks. I can revert it all back to just Windows 10 if necessary, but would rather use Linux.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Some websites suggest the graphics driver. I have the Nvidia proprietary driver installed and selected, originally the Xorg-nouveau driver was in use, but I removed this as some say it is buggy.

David