See below

On 10/26/20 5:30 PM, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
So, keep that in mind. Many "gaming" laptops out there aren't Linux-compatible. It's a tough truth, but it's the truth.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader     Ubuntu Studio

I ran into this with FreeBSD.  It apparently is common for PC board manaufacturers to request minor changes in third party hardware, or for the third party hardware makers to do so.  This was done in a couple of cases where the hardware was supposed to work with FreeBSD and the hardware was listed during boot as being a supported piece of hardware, but it didn't work.  In both cases one particular implementation of the hardware had a very minor change that had no impact, apparently, for MS Windows users but which stopped the hardware from working under FreeBSD.  In both cases I was able to work with the group maintaining that piece of hardware and eventually getting a patch to the kernel that fixed the problem.

I personally have tried to buy laptops particularly that the manufacturer supported LINUX.  I've also learned not to buy the latest hardware since without manufacturer support the various BSD/LINUX implementations may take some time, if ever, to support new hardware or new versions of older hardware.

The problems I've had with Ubuntu have not been with Studio but with code maintained upstream.  This is different from my experience with (a long time ago) SCO UN*X and FreeBSD and it took me a bit to learn that.

My primary workstation is an older Supermicro X7DAE motherboard, dual Xeon quad core, which at one point didn't like the low-latency kernel mods but upstream changes contained in v19 and V20 have solved that problem.  My music room runs off a Dell T3600 which uses a single Xeon quad core, the nVidia card and LSI raid controller shipped with the unit, and a Presonus 24c USB sound inteface, all working well.  My laptops are a HP Envy 17T, Intel i7, and a Dell Inspiron 5758, both of which run fine under Ubuntu Studio.  The X7DAE is working well with a Radeon 7000 video card paired with an old M-Audio PCI card; the older nVidia display controller in the 17T is recognized and the "nouveau" driver is installed and works.  None of this offers state-of-the-art game performance (my gaming is restricted to participating in an on-line D&D game and a lot of years as an SCA armored combat participant) but it all seems to work well under Ubuntu Studio.

Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.
546 North Park Ridge Road
Bloomington, IN 47408
Known in the SCA as Alan Culross, KSCA, OP, etc.
"Michael Leslie Squires" on FB
Home phone: 812-333-6564
Cell phone: 812-369-5232
www.siralan.org (personal) or