*Prof. Vasu Renganathan*
<http://plc.sas.upenn.edu/people/faculty/vasurenganathan>, Univ
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA, has released his *Text to Speech for Tamil*
language as Open source.

 Get the source at :

https://github.com/vasurenganathan/tamil-tts

See in action:

http://www.thetamillanguage.com/tamilnlp/speak/

http://www.thetamillanguage.com/tamilnlp/speak/listentome.html

http://www.thetamillanguage.com/tamilnlp/speak/url_talk.php?url=

It is written in php.

There are many open source TTS systems available as espeak, Festival, CMU
Sphinx  etc.

But they work fine for English only. A new system is needed for Tamil.

Myself and my brother Arulalan are trying to build a TTS system using
python.

He wrote script to convert tamil text to IPA.

http://tuxcoder.wordpress.com/2014/08/02/release-txt2ipa-converter-v0-1/

https://github.com/arulalant/txt2ipa

The next step is to record audio for each symbol and play with python.

In the meantime, the TTS by Vasu gives a great enlightenment on text and
sound processing,a s it has all the sound files and code to process text,
map to sound files and stitch as a word etc.

We will port it to python soon.

This is not a very perfect TTS.
Many things have to be improved.

   - There is little gap between letters.
   - Need few more gap between sentences.
   - Need more voices.

We can add all these features as we have the source now.

Please check the code and explore a how TTS works.

Reply here if you are interested in improving Tamil TTS System.

Thanks.

Thanks for prof.vasu for open sourcing his nice works.

--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com