2008/6/18 Danilo Šegan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> Today at 12:56, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:
>
> >> I think you are missing one important point.  A "reviewer" can also
> >> submit translations without waiting for them to be reviewed.
> >
> > No
>
> Sorry, but yes :) Whether that's desired is a different topic.

Yeah ok :) That was what I meant.

> > I.e. by reviewing someone's translations, you are aiming for a new
> >> 'trusted' translator as well.
> >
> > Not if we can't provide feedback and make them make the corrections
> > themselves.
>
> I already acknowledged that we are missing commenting feature and that
> it's important for reviewer's work.

 I also mentioned how external
> communication is still essential for running a translation team in LP
> (due to lack of such commenting feature).

Yeah I know, sorry, I was just reiterating.

> >>  So, now it'll be two guys who can
> >> translate directly, and if that doesn't speed you up long-term, I
> >> don't know what will.
> >
> > I think you are missing an important point here. There are _many_
> upstream
> > translators/translation teams that consider reviewing translations, even
> > those done by seasoned translators, as a integral part of the translation
>
> Actually, I am quite aware of that.  And I am doing some improvements to
> enable reviewers to submit only suggestions (which is what they can't
> do right now).
>
> > process, that is absolutely necessary to reach a high quality output.
> E.g.
> > _all_ translations submitted to the GNOME SVN for the Danish language has
> > been reviewed, indenpendently of the translator. We don't want to
> comprimise
> > our standards for quality in Ubuntu, hence what we need is a way to
> quickly
> > review, _not_ "correct", a translation, because if we correct them
> ourselves
> > then translator will not learn anything and the reviewers will have to
> keep
> > correcting the same things.
>
> You do make a strong case here.  I am thinking out loud, but if we
> modify the translator evaluation page to group submissions by
> dates, I think we'd have a good enough approximation to your 'point
> diff' approach.

Yes good idea. Maybe, make it an option.

The mechanism to comment on such sets of suggestions would be very
> useful, indeed, but I think intially just having them per single page
> which you could copy and paste into email should be a big help.

Yes definitely. Having the new_suggestions_per_person_per_module-page you
mentioned in your previous e-mail would be A alpha 1 numore uno. Later
having commenting features on that page would make it complete.

> > What we do when we review is to read through the translations, commenting
> > only on the one that needs commenting, and only in as much detail as is
> > required for the individual string. This can sometimes only be a single
> word
> > or sentence "Typo", "Reformulate to avoid english sentence structure",
> > "misgid has plural" or sometimes it can be a long explanation of some
> > preferred terminology or policy. This all means that I can review and
> > provide feedback for translations, as fast as I can read, write and
> delete
> > text in a text editor and send an email, and _that_ is what I am looking
> > for. My suggested "point-diff" approach will allow for that, in parallel
> > with anything else you guys might think up as the main approach in the
> > web-interface.
>
> Actually, I am sorry to say that I haven't heard a single comment
> about the existing evaluation view.

That is too bad.

The ideas from this thread can
> make it much more useful, and I'd be happy to spend some more time
> thinking about this, and later working on it.

Yeah. I'm sorry I don't have time to do it myself, but if you do put this
down in a development specification, would you then mind dropping the link
here, possibly along with other dev.specs. pertaining to the issues we have
discussed here. Then I will subscribe to them and possibly getting feedback
on them.

However, don't put up your hopes too high: it will take a while until
> I find time to work on this, especially now that it's just Jeroen and
> me working on LP Translations.

Ok, sure.

> If anyone feels like working on Launchpad Translations, check out
>
>  http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/canonical_LTSE/

Well linking to what I wrote earlier, I espect to finish my masters in
applied physics mid august, so I don't think I will apply ;)

Regards Kenneth Nielsen