În data de Lu, 27-10-2008 la 11:28 +0100, Danilo Šegan a scris:
> Hi Adi,
>
> У нед, 26. 10 2008. у 09:48 +0200, Adi Roiban пише:
>
> > As the coordinator of Romanian Ubuntu Localization I am happy to see the
> > team growing and team members start working at translating the Ubuntu
> > distribution but also other non-Ubuntu related projects from Launchpad.
> >
> > My goal for the Romanian Ubuntu Localization team is to build it as a
> > group of people with good localization skils and any new or existent
> > project from Launchpad (or from somewhere else) will trust it's member
> > and rest assured that their project localization for Romanian on good
> > hands.
>
> It's a very noble goal :)
>
> > Even thou we are not translating only Ubuntu the Romanian team has
> > Ubuntu in it's name and in some cases this stop people from joining the
> > team of doing localizations for other projects.
> >
> > My sugestion is to rename the ubuntu-l10n-ro team to launchpad-l10n-ro
> > or any other generic name.
>
> There are different ways to achieve this.  For example, you may create a
> launchpad-l10n-ro team and include ubuntu-l10n-ro team in it, with
> direct memberships only to those not interested in working on Ubuntu.
>
> So, you'd basically have
>
>   launchpad-l10n-ro: Romanian Translation Team
>     - ubuntu-l10n-ro: Ubuntu translators
>     - someone else 1
>     - someone else 2
Thanks for this suggestion.
This can solve the problem for Romanian translation team.

> > Also if for example (just hypothetical) Fedora Project would like to
> > translate Fedora distribution using Launchpad (when it will be free
> > software) I doubt they will be happy to assign the localization to
> > Ubuntu Translators groups but maybe they are ok with assigning to
> > Launchpad Translators.
>
> Actually, they are likely to want to have their own fedora-l10n-ro which
> you might want to include in launchpad-l10n-ro instead.  At least in my
> opinion.
At least for Romanian teams I don't think they will want their own
fedora-l10n-ro, they will be happy with any distro neutral team.
I am very good relations with Romanian Fedora, Mozilla, OpenOffice and
Gnome translation coordinators.

Fedora guys are not using Launchpad because it is not free software and
as far as I know there is no option for RPM lang-packs.
They also tried Launchpad by the time Rosetta had huge upload and
download delays and very frequent timeouts.

> > I see this change in naming as a sign that we are not a group of
> > separatists willing to translate any Ubuntu package into our languages
> > but we are an open group interested in translating any project using
> > Rosetta.
>
> That's true. But, I feel there is nothing wrong with this, as long as
> the Ubuntu translator groups has enough credibility.
> And actually, if we want to go with creating actually trusted Launchpad
> translation groups, we should do it separately from Ubuntu. In general,
> they would include Ubuntu translation groups, but not always.  They
> could also include teams of eg. upstream GNOME translators, and similar.
Agree.
Renaming ubuntu-translators is not a good option.
I would be happy to see a new launchpad-translators group that will
include lauchpad-l10n-LANG team, and each language team will include the
Ubuntu-l10n-LANG to give an intial boots to ubuntu-translators.

> > I see this change as a mandatory one by the time Launchpad will be a
> > free software project.
>
> There is a lot of sense in organizing Launchpad translations groups.
> However, I believe this is orthogonal to Ubuntu translation effort and
> their organization.  I.e. we still want to have them as separate teams,
> if only because of being able to separate who's involved in Ubuntu and
> who isn't.
I am happy with a disting launchpad-translators, as long as
launchpad-translators has a wider language and project coverage than
ubuntu-translators.

> > I like Launchpad because people work together in the same place, the
> > bugs and translations can be shared between projects. If we will have a
> > Launchpad instance for each project then Launchpad will be no longer
> > useful.
>
> Yeah, but teams can be included as subteams inside other teams, and I
> believe we should make use of this flexibility.

I didn't know about this feature of Launchpad, but we should use it's
flexibility.

> > Having strong and active localizations team, willing to translate not
> > only Ubuntu but any other package will be a good reason for people to
> > register their project on Launchpad.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I agree.  So, what do you think about having Launchpad team which was
> separate from Ubuntu teams, but could, of course, include Ubuntu
> translators as well?
I would be happy to have them.

> And considering how much you've been helping with Translations for a
> while already (thanks!), I am wondering if you'd be willing to help run
> that team? (it's all only discussion right now, but I find it an
> appealing idea)
I would be happy to run the launchpad-translators team and to advocate it's
 usage among Launchpad users and projects.

--
Adi Roiban