On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 03:18:54PM +0700, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> David Planella wrote:
> >What it boils down to is something that I feel has been always missing
> >in the Ubuntu translation process, and is a team or an individual who
> >acts as a coordinator between the translators and the developers. The
>
> That, to me, is the heart of the problem.  The Ubuntu translation
> process as a whole needs to be managed by someone who is involved in
> Ubuntu on a full-time basis.
>
> In fact the Rosetta team has been pushing for the creation of this role
> since early this year, and Arne has for some time been fulfilling its
> technical aspects.  A lot of this work fell to Carlos in the past, but I
> don't think it makes sense for the application developers to keep track
> in enough detail to coordinate the Ubuntu translation process.  From our
> perspective, we'd much prefer to have more knowledgeable people manage
> the process and tell us what we can do *in the code* to facilitate their
> work.

I agree, of course, although I would say that problems tend to arise
when application developers become entirely disconnected from the people
at the sharp end. (I don't think that's what you mean.)

> >I understand your position. The only short-term improvement I can
> >imagine in this process at this point is better information flow (i.e.
> >that translators know at least how it all works) and translating
> >directly upstream. Locking the upstream translations would even be
> >better, but that is again material for another discussion.
>
> Colin, this may have come up before but might it help to register the
> Ubuntu version of the installer as an independent project on Launchpad?
>  That would give you much more fine-grained control over translation
> access, e.g. to delegate it only to people who are aware of the
> package's special situation.

I think this would be the wrong model. The Ubuntu installer is not
supposed to have a separate upstream existence from the Debian installer
(apart from the graphical installer component Ubiquity, that is, which
isn't at issue here), and I think it would be a mistake to pretend that
it does. For one thing, it would make the location of branches very
confusing indeed.

Instead, I would prefer that Launchpad Translations implement what I see
as an important design principle in Launchpad (albeit one honoured more
in the breach than the observance to date):

  In general, operations that can be performed on upstream projects
  should be able to be performed on distribution source packages as
  well.

The lack of this equivalence in all sorts of places in Launchpad has
long been a thorn in the Ubuntu team's side. This is something I've been
working through with the Launchpad Code team recently too, so that we
can have branches attached to distribution source packages as well as to
upstream projects.

I think, at minimum, we ought to be able to have certain privileges
attached to translations of source packages for those who can upload
them to the relevant distribution anyway. We probably also ought to be
able to alter translation privileges on certain source packages,
although I think this should be the exception rather than the rule.

All that said, I don't think limiting the *people* who can commit to
installer translations in Ubuntu is the right model. Instead, I think
there should be a straightforward way to limit the set of *strings*
offered for translation.

The good news is that this does not necessarily have to involve
significant changes to Launchpad. Currently, I generate a master set of
POT and PO files for the installer which Launchpad Translations
administrators then upload. We could split those files into three big
lumps: one for the strings that come directly from Debian and should not
generally be changed; one for the strings that require branding changes
in Ubuntu; and one for the strings that are new in Ubuntu. Those could
then be uploaded to separate templates in Launchpad, and translators
could be given separate advice about what to translate. We could
maintain the filtering for this on the Ubuntu side; I don't expect that
it would be all that difficult.

Jeroen (or others), what do you think about this idea?

--
Colin Watson                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]