About videos:

It does not have to necessarily include a lot of speech / text. It can be
just used for demonstrating simpel things.
I can say from experience that a simple one minute video with no text (i
thought recordmydesktop won't record sound, silly me), just showing how you
login into launchpad, select the right project, then package and
mistranslate a string, then search for it and fix it answered 90 % of inital
questions new users were having (Where should i go, where should i click,
how can i fix the translations).

About the new translation website:

I suggest a feature for the new website - it would be nice if people could
assign packages to themselves (even better if it could be done in
launchpad).
We found it's best if one person translates the package and then another
reviews it. This ensures all strings are reviewed. As of now we write the
assignments in the wiki, but sometimes someone forgets to change the wiki,
this can sometimes cause confusion, so it would be great if it would be
integrated somewhere.

Andrej