Hi Ask,

У сре, 22. 12 2010. у 13:01 +0100, Ask Hjorth Larsen пише:

> It's unfortunate that the `fuzzy' feature of gettext is not supported
> in LP, and there have been previous discussions in the manual team
> about what to do, but there's no really good solution as it is.

Perhaps we should really just turn fuzzy translations into suggestions.
It wouldn't be a big deal for us, but:

 1. people *will* mistakenly approve suggestions which look almost the
same (imagine someone fixing a typo of a missing "not" in a long
documentation message: I will bet you that most people will not notice
the "not" and will just approve the existing translation); this is a
problem even with offline translation, but Launchpad makes it very easy
to make this mistake for reviewers
 2. if msgmerge was not done prior to the import, there won't be any
benefit
 3. people will expect this to actually work, and yet it wouldn't (iow,
we'll get questions why was there not a suggestion for one string or
another, and those questions are nothing but a distraction); today we
just get feature requests about this :)

Those are the reasons why it's not behaving like that today.  We do,
however, want to have a smart "similarity matching" feature for
suggestions.  That's a lot more work.  I'd be happy to guide anyone with
some time on their hands into implementing that.

Cheers,
Danilo