Hi Demuxer,

It would be great to see Kaqchikel as one of Ubuntu languages!

On top of the pointers others have shared, here're a few more.

The most important things to start on are:

 - locale for the language
 - fonts if anything special is needed for display purposes (it seems
generic multilingual Latin Unicode fonts like Ubuntu font or DejaVu
font should work well)
 - keyboard layout so you can enter the translations more efficiently

Long ago when I started on Serbian translations, I've gone through the
entire dance, and presented that at GUADEC.  Here are the still
relevant notes if you are starting from scratch:

  http://kvota.net/guadec/localised-desktop-talk/

Note that it may be hard to get a locale into GNU libc, but Debian has
an extended locales package that is much easier to get into.

I can help create a language on Launchpad using the ISO-639-3 code
"cak", which will allow you to start translations.  I've entered the
few basic bits, but I still need the following:

 - Name of the language as spelled in Kaqchikel
 - Plural forms: basically, do any words change in a more complex
manner when they are next to a number, or is it a simple,
English/Spanish-like singular and plural (eg. "1 thing", "7 thing*s*";
Serbian and most Slavic languages have a few more forms, eg. we
basically say "21 thing" and not "21 things").

You should also set up a team as explained on

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/StartingTeam

page.

У пет, 02. 06 2017. у 13:49 -0600, Demuxer @gmail пише:

> What is the first step?
> Is it possible to have a branch from the SPANISH - LATAM ? the
> translators are better with spanish than english, of course this
> would change in another Ubuntu Release, but we prefer 'spanish' as a
> base.

You can use Launchpad to help you by using another language as a guide.

Make sure you add all the languages that you wish to translate to or
use as a guide at
  https://translations.launchpad.net/people/+me/+editlanguages

Then browse to a translation page that you'd like to contribute to, and
select "Spanish" as the guide language just before the translations
really start.

Eg. for the unity-greeter, which is the login screen that shows up when
you turn Ubuntu on, you can go to:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/unity-greeter/+pots/unity-greeter/cak/+translate?start=0&batch=10&show=all&field.alternative_language=es&field.alternative_language-empty-marker=1&old_show=all

(if you hit a timeout, retry a few times since this functionality is
not often used and Launchpad needs to load it into cache for it to
perform better).

Once you have a locale created and installed on the system, you can
also make the system default to Kaqchikel and fall back to Spanish.
Using LANG or LANGUAGE environment variables can help with that.

Also, be aware that you'd only be submitting suggestions until you
finish with setting up a team and it gets assigned official status.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Danilo