On 2017-06-06 19:55, Michael Bauer wrote:
Re-naming the thread, sorry for the hijack.

Well, basically it's off-topic here anyway. ;)

I wasn't aware that the order of keyboards is not locale dependent
but general. My assumption was that the strange IBM 166 layout only
appeared because I'd set the locale of my Ubuntu to gd-GB. I don't
think IBM 166 makes an appearance if I do a clean install of en-GB or
en-US.

The "strange" layout is named "English (UK)" and is the basic layout in the gb symbols file. I'd be surprised if that's not the one which shows up in the installer as default if you select a UK location for the time zone settings. I don't think it has anything to do with which language you select.

I'm not averse to taking, basically, en-GB and submitting it under a
 different name... that would have been the helpful thing to point
out by Sergey. So is this what you were suggesting? Rather than
trying to change the order of current keyboards, to create a "new
one" (however much based on an existing locale) and submit it?

No, that's not what I suggested. Assuming that there doesn't exist any special Scottish Gaelic physical keyboards, and since you still want to use an already existing layout, it wouldn't make much sense, and I have a feeling they wouldn't approve it.

My idea was to add a variant, which would be identical with the layout you consider most suitable, but with another name. That way the Scottish Gaelic users would get a hint in the installer, even if the variant wouldn't be selected by default. However, I can't tell if they would accept that either. (They are currently aiming to reduce the number of layout options.)

The bit I'm still hazy about is how to make sure that this ends up
being the default keyboard when someone switches their installation
from en-US to gd-GB. Who controls that default spot?

That's about how the installer works. I'm not sure, but my belief is that the installer isn't sophisticated enough to do that without pretty extensive changes. Again: The keyboard layout it suggests depends on the time zone location, not the selected display language.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj