Forums would NOT be a replacement for this mailing list.

I'll contact ubuntu-geek and enquire about the possibility of
integration with the mailing list.

A big reason I'm wanting forums for the UK loco team is because it would
greatly increase the numbers in our loco team. I 'know' that a large
amount of people will be more likely to join a forum than a mailing
list.

On ubuntuforums.org we're hoping to trial an "ambassadors" system... a
select group of people regular to the forums and with experience with
both devs and the forums will be flagging threads, to be compiled into a
list of points that the forums userbase wish to present to the devs.

How about a similar idea here... I'm sure one or two users of the forums
could bring discussions that you guys on the mailing lists may find
interesting from the forum.

Pricey