The Guardian have a Thursday technology supplement, and as part of it
they have a "Free Our Data" campaign. Mainly to do with mapping
information from Ordance Survey, but they would seem to be willing to
take up such a problem as the BBC and closed codecs.

Wait until Thursday and get a copy of the Guardian, and it will have the
reporters name at the end of the article, and shouldn't be too hard to
contact them after that.

CiarĂ¡n