On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 12:37:25PM +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've just watched the screen cast and thought it was really good! Don't
> really think you need to make any changes to the splash screen, although
> with the idea of pretty as a feature being thrown around by Mark
> Shuttleworth and the like maybe it would be a nice extra (although I
> have zero artistic talent myself!).

Ok, that's good to hear.

> I know I've said this about the screencasts on this list before, but I
> really think any one making them should post them to
> http://ubuntuclips.org/ as well: otherwise I worry we'll be duplicating
> efforts. Just a thought.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Firstly ubuntuclips state that the videos submitted to them should *not* be
full resolution
videos, but should be clips of part of the screen. Part of this is for
readability and
partly for size of download. I am of the opinon that screencasts should (where
possible)
show full screen video that allows the viewer to see the entire desktop.
Clipping and
cropping chunks off means they don't see the full deal of what's going on, and
the video
maker has to keep moving popup windows and dialogs around to get them in the
viewing port.

I also feel that there should be some consistency between the videos, that they
should have
boilerplates at the start and end so that you know what video is what from the
preview
dialog, and the video gets a branding.

I chose 1024x768 as the standard resolution for my videos becuase it seems to
be the
minimum that will allow people to see a reasonable sized desktop. With many
people having
1024x768 or higher resolutions they will be able to see it full screen in a
movie player or
in a window whilst they do other stuff. I thought that any smaller and things
would feel
cramped in the window.

These are of course decisions I arbitrarily made having seen lots of
screencasts online and
figured (possibly incorrectly) that I could do better. :)

> Well done!

Thank you Jon for the kind words and feedback.

Cheers,
Al.