Hi Colin,

  I'm afraid i can't offer much help with your server problem, as i also
need more information (maybe read more books, wikis and tutorials) about
servers, but i can, i hope, point the way to find your answers.
  Visit the english ubuntu forum (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/) and also do
a search about your problem on the ubuntu wiki (http://wiki.ubuntu.com).
   I'm also a fan of meetings to exchange experiences, help people with
their problems and just have a good time.

   Cheers,

   Daniel