>>If you want the Ubuntu server accessible from the internet, you need
>>to get a proper router and put the Ubuntu server in the DMZ as David
>>mentioned earlier.

I agree a proper router and ubuntu 6.06 LTS in the appropriate place would
be of most benefit.
At present I am having a hard time finding a computer that passes both
ethernet detection test and the dhcp auto configuration procedures.

Only one computer I have tried it on has passed both steps.  I have tried
installation with brand new and 2nd hand computers.  In these instances
ethernet detection was found but dhcp autoconfiguration failed.  Is this
uncommon?  Would it still be possible to network/ping with only ethernet
detection and no dhcp?

p.s.

Done contacted my M.P a while back