On booting up Edgy a couple of hours ago I was advised that there were
10 updates available to me, mainly upgrading the kernel.  I dutifully
downloaded them and following the usual instructions rebooted the
machine, except that I couldn't, the loader got no further than
of the computer (which is a Linux only machine, with various different
distributions).  On switching back on, my computer made different from
normal beeps, and wouldn't even load the bios, in effect leaving me
with a dead computer as I can't now boot into the bios.

Can anyone suggest what's going on and, better still, how to fix it?

Keith.

--
Keith Bowerman,
Prestwood, South Staffordshire, England.