On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 22:36 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> > Alternatively ssh to her machine and setup a tunnel with -L and then get
> > her to enable remote desktop and use rdesktop at your end to view her
> > desktop via the ssh tunnel. Then run the update manager.
>
> Don't I get my own desktop if I do that rather than hers? But I see what
> you are saying.

No, you ssh to her, forwarding port 5900 from your desktop to hers. Then
you use rdesktop to view localhost:5900 and you get her desktop because
ssh forwards those packets down the tunnel to her machine. Works well, I
do this when I want to administer my brothers computer.

> One of my reasons for putting Linux on this machine rather than Windows,
> was as she had no experience what so ever it didn't matter what system I
> gave her, and as Linux is easier to administer remotely,  I went for that.

I came to the same conclusion when making the computer for my brother.

Cheers,
Al.