norman wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 20:27 +0000, Adam Bagnall wrote:
>
>> norman wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for responding.
>>>
>>> < snip >

>>> Unless I am being stupid I cannot find /etc/modules but there
>>> is /etc/modutils. Please be kind enough to explain.

>>> This I have done.

>> sudo gedit /etc/modules
>>
>> That should allow you to edit the file. If that file is empty then just
>> type raw1394 on a line by itself and save the file.
>>

> Followed your instructions and, sure enough, there was the file with
> some entries, so I added raw1394. Then I rebooted but, I am sorry to
> say, I still get the following error on selecting capture:-
>
> WARNING: raw1394 kernel module not loaded or failure to
> read/write /dev/raw...
>
> Thanks for your help. so far, but I am puzzled.
>
> Norman

if   lsmod | grep raw1394   lists anything then the module is loaded and
the permissions on /dev/raw are incorrect.     sudo chmod 777
/dev/raw    will give you the necessary permissions, although you'll
have to set this manually each time you restart your computer and wish
to use your camcorder. If it still doesnt work then sorry but I'm out of
further ideas.

Adam.