On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 12:41 +0000, Phil Bull wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 11:14 +0000, gord wrote:
> > Snippet:
> >     "UK schools and colleges that have signed up to Microsoft Corp's
> > academic licensing programs face the 'significant potential' of being
> > locked in to the company's software, according to an interim review by
> > the UK government agency responsible for technology in education.
> >
> > The British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta)
> > report also states that most establishments surveyed do not believe that
> > Microsoft's licensing agreements provide value for money, while a
> > separate review has recommended against the deployment of Vista and
> > Office 2007.
> >
> > Last week Becta signed a 12-month extension to its Memorandum of
> > Understanding with Microsoft that enables schools to negotiate cheaper
> > software deals, but many schools will not be taking advantage of it if
> > they follow Becta's advice."

> >     "On the subject of promoting alternatives, Becta noted that the UK's
> > Open Source Consortium would like to see Becta proactively promoting
> > choice by adopting open source standards" and stated that it will
> > "discuss with key stakeholders the practical steps it could take to
> > facilitate wider competition in choice in relation to software licensing
> > in schools."
> >
> > Earlier this week the OSC's president, Mark Taylor, criticized Becta for
> > entering into the extension with Microsoft despite its own research
> > indicating cheaper open source alternatives. "We'd like to congratulate
> > Becta for getting a discount on their season ticket for the Titanic," he
> > said."
> >
> > http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=BDD20D68-FDBF-4E1C-BA77-BBA4B7CA6061
> >

> > Does anyone have any idea weather their is something we could do to help
> > take advantage of this situation in favour of floss and ubuntu?
>
> Maybe we should write a letter to BECTA and tell them who we are, what
> we offer and how we can help British schools. It would be interesting to
> discuss their requirements and ways of providing information and support
> to schools to help them move towards adopting open source. If Canonical
> could get involved too, that would put more weight behind the whole
> thing.
>
> In addition, we might like to co-operate with the Open Source
> Consortium. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have been quite busy on the fight for free software for schools, and
am publishing any developments on that front at
http://tibsplace.co.uk/blog/index.php/category/free-software

I don't really trust BECTA. They didn't reply to my completely serious
e-mail, so I just assume they are been pressurised into preferring
proprietary software. They could just have issued this statement to make
us content. I will again write to them, but until I receive a reply, I
have no idea why I should think they are trustworthy.

--
Help me get to Venezuela!
http://tibsplace.co.uk/venezuela