[Apologies if this is a double-post, gmane seemed to hiccup when first
trying to post..]

I've just installed Apache 2 and PHP (using the Ubuntu 6.10 packages) on
my computer to test websites locally.

Apache seems to work fine, but PHP doesn't. It doesn't seem to make any
difference whether I install PHP4 (preferred, matches my ISP) or PHP5.

When I try to open a PHP URL, I get the following error (in Firefox):

eg, for http://localhost/, where the implied index URL is served via
PHP:

You have to chosen to open
[blank line]
which is a: PHTML file

If I explicitly supply the name (index.php) or try to open any other
named PHP URL, the error is similar, except the blank line is replaced
by the 'filename', and the final line is:
"which is a: PHP script" (ie, slightly different)

Whenever I try to restart Apache2 (using apache2ctl), I also get the
following error:

apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

I've read the Apache docs about 'ServerName' but I'm not sure where this
directive should actually *go* (or what form, exactly, it should take
for this installation).

So far, I've configured (minimally) my webserver by hacking the
sites-available/default configuration, which starts with the following:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>

These obviously don't explicitly state the name of the computer, so I'm
wondering what changes I need to make, if any, and whether this affects
the PHP problem.

I did a web search, and this seems to be a problem experienced by
various other people, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any

Thanks for any advice,

David.

--
David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland. -- [en,fr,(de) <-- corrections welcome]
*Please trim quotes not needed for context,  and interleave reply text.*