On 02/03/07, Philip Wyett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 02/03/07, Benjamin Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am thinking about swithcing to ubuntu, but I use an AOL ADSL modem
> > to access the internet. This will not work well with linux (apparently
> > the eccisadsl drivers may be uncompatible).
> >
> > Therefore, I a router to replace it with. I have found this:
> >
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-5-Port-100-Switch-SD205/dp/B000225CXG/ref=sr_1_75/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172871998&sr=1-75
> >
> > 1) Is it a fairly decent deal (I want to buy new)
> > 2) Will this work for what I want (just plugging the DSL into one
> > socket and then plugging into the PC (Dell™ Dimension™ 5150C) using an
> > ethernet cable).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ben Webb
>
> What you want to do is very dependant on your modem. If it does not support
> ethernet you cannot
> use it on the switch and by the looks of the spec it has no uplink WAN port.
>
> If you wish to buy a wired or wireless DSL modem router that will work and
> is also supported by AOL, you can get
> either of the following as a couple of examples of switches that include DSL
> modem that are not
>  dependant on an OS or drivers.
>

>  Netgear DG834 - 4 port Wired Modem Router
>  Netgear DG834G - 4 port 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router
> http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/homeNetworking.adp?promo=228937&promoCode=228937#modemList
>
> Regards
>
> Phil
>

> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Thanks for the response. I currently use a USB modem which is why it
will not work with Ubuntu, and I wanted to replace it with a router.
However, I got the wrong item as I need an ASDL modem built in.

What about this item instead:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-SAR-600E-Single-ADSL2%2B-Router/dp/B000IB9R3C/ref=sr_1_8/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172874514&sr=1-8

It is in more of my price range and I am probably only going to have 1
computer on the internet.

Seeing as its using ethernet it will work with Ubuntu won't it?

Thanks
Ben Webb

P.S. Any better deals would be appreciated.